Ruins of Finbar's Cathedral, Charleston, South Carolina
02: South Carolina, Charleston, Box 2, Civil War Stereographs
Quinby & Co.
Wars and Conflicts:
H x W: 3.5 in. / 7 in.
Gift of Reginald W. Okie
Library, Third Floor
The Army and Navy Club, gift of Reginald W. Okie
verso: The ruins of this fine church edifice can be seen at the corner of Broad and Friends streets. It fell a prey to the terrible conflagration of December 11, 1861. The corner stone was laid in August 1852, and it was dedicated on 6 April 1854. It occupies the site of the old Sr Finbar’s, a wooden building. The height of the St Finbar’s, the ruins of which are presented in this picture, was to the top of the cross, (which of itself was ten feet, with an arm of six feet), 218 ½ feet. The exterior dimensions were—from the rear of vestry, 194 feet; width, 73 feet. The material used in its construction was a brownish free-stone, from the Middlesex (Conn.) quarries. The building cost, when completed, $106,000. Mr. P.C. Kelly, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was the architect and contractor, assisted by Messrs. L. O’Connor, of New York, and James Farmer, of Brooklyn. The alter and window heads of this superb structure were furnished by Messrs. Smith and & Crane, of New York; the stucco decorations by Mr. P. Toley, of New York, and the stained glass by S. & W. Morgan, of new York. The Right Rev. Dr. Porter, Bishop of Mobile, officiated as Consecrating Prelate. The Right Rev. Dr. Gaitland, Bishop of Savannah, acted as celebrant. The Most Rev. Dr. Hughes, Archbishop of New York, preached the Consecration Sermon. The Right Rev. D. Magill, Bishop of Richmond, and Right Rev. Dr. Reynolds, Bishop of Charleston, were assisting Bishops. Efforts have been made since the close of the late war, to rebuild this notable structure, but so far they have been unsuccessful.
Published by Quinby & Co., 261 King Street, Charleston, S.C.