H x W: 15 in. / 10 in.
The Army and Navy Club Library Trust Fund
This is a March 21, 1891 announcement printed in Harper’s Weekly reporting the groundbreaking of the United Service Club, which shortly thereafter was reincorporated as The Army and Navy Club. In the 1890s, Washington, DC was a city filled with veterans from every major war of the past quarter century, many of whom were now serving in government positions. The first paragraph of this announcement demonstrates the significance of the service that The Club provided to the city when it was founded:
"An event of no little importance to army and navy officers was the breaking of ground for a new United Service Club house in Washington. It marks an era of progress in the growth of this club, and the appropriate time to set forth the purpose and necessity of its existence.”